Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Friday, October 17, 2008

Maine


Our second night we stayed in the coolest hotel in South Portland, called the Wyndham. We were on the seventh floor, and had an amazing view of the mall across the street. Marc just about fainted when he opened the curtains to find that the entire outside wall was all window.

The rooms in this place were very comfortable and clean. The cylindrical pillows even had "Be Well" embroidered on them. I think this was our favorite hotel, by far.

Right outside our hotel, we noticed this box van-turned-truck across the intersection from us. Isn't that awesome?!


This is the Two Rivers Lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. We enjoyed the most incredible lobster dinner just next to this lighthouse at The Lobster Shack.

The other view from the Lobster Shack:

For some reason that I can't recall, I have always dreamed of eating a lobster on the coast of Maine. I couldn't have asked for anything more perfect than this setting - we were literally on the coast of Maine, eating a lobster that had probably just been caught that day. We were lucky enough to enjoy this lobster meal with the Lawsons, who were instructing me every step of the way how to eat a lobster. If they had told me to chomp down on the outer shell, I seriously would have followed their lead. I LOVED it! This was one of my most favorite moments from this trip, especially since we were able to connect with another couple who has recently experienced their own loss. It's incredible the immediate bond you feel with others who have experienced similar things in life.


Later on that same night, after we got back to our hotel, we decided to go out for ice cream. When the waitress came to get our order, I swear that she said, "Can I put coffee in your water?" We didn't even have any water yet, so I didn't know how to answer her. After repeating herself two more times, I finally understood that she was asking if we wanting coffee, tea or water. I'm sure she was laughing behind our backs at our crazy Western accents, just like we were amused with her thick New England accent. Once our ice cream came, Marc was disgusted to find a half eaten cherry on top of his Strawberry Shortcake Sundae. Weird. So, they made him something new.

Here are some of the cobblestone streets in Old Port - in downtown Portland.


We found a deli for lunch. I ordered a Turkey BLT... only, they forgot to put the bacon on the sandwich. My first thought, though, was that maybe the "B" means something else to people back East. So, I let the waitress know and they had just forgotten to put it on. I was happy to learn that BLT means the same anywhere you go in the States.

We climbed to the top of Bradbury Mountain, to enjoy this awesome view of Maine! Isn't it gorgeous?!







This is just outside of Augusta, Maine. 





No comments: