Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Infinite Power of Hope

“ ‘Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey towards it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.’ … Hope sweetens the memory of experiences well loved. It tempers our troubles to our growth and our strength. It befriends us in dark hours, excites us in bright ones. It lends promise to the future and purpose to the past. It turns discouragement to determination.”

- Samuel Smiles


(image courtesy of flickr)

This week I've been studying and thinking a lot about Elder Uchtdorf's talk from Conference - The Infinite Power of Hope. If I had to choose a favorite, this might just be the one. It is awesome and I strongly recommend a good read through of it. And, if I had to choose some favorite parts from this talk, these would be included: 

"[H]ope is both a principle of promise as well as a commandment, and, as with all commandments, we have the responsibility to make it an active part of our lives and overcome the temptation to lose hope. Hope in our Heavenly Father’s merciful plan of happiness leads to peace, mercy, rejoicing, and gladness. The hope of salvation is like a protective helmet; it is the foundation of our faith and an anchor to our souls.

...

"Surrounded by those we love, we will know the meaning of ultimate joy as we progress in knowledge and in happiness. No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expectations. “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

...

"There may be times when we must make a courageous decision to hope even when everything around us contradicts this hope. Like Father Abraham, we will “against hope [believe] in hope.” Or, as one writer expressed, “in the depth of winter, [we find] within [us] an invincible summer.”

...

"And to all who suffer—to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely—I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in.

Never surrender.

Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.


Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart."

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Megan:
You always seem to know what I need to hear. Thank you!
This talk also is one of my favorite talks. I was bawling in Maui as I watched it. Thanks for helping me remember.
Love,
Andrea

Michelle said...

I loved this talk, too. It seems like he gave it just for me! :)
I was talking recently with a friend about how hope and grief can co-exist. That is certainly the journey I am on--to learn how to let both be in my heart.
Thank you for another very uplifting post!

Mindy said...

That was my favorite too. :)

Becky Rose said...

Thank you megan for these words. I've forward them to my niece Jessica who is very depressed. She dropped out of college.

I'm intralled with these blogging friends of yours with stories of loss- of babies dying. It keeps me on the computer for hours. I guess it gives me a glimpse of how being a mother feels.

Unknown said...

I love this. I was not able to watch much of conference. I love to re-read it, and hear it through the words of others and what affected them. These words are beautiful, I love the boldings...they have spoken to my heart.

Anonymous said...

thank you. you have no idea how badly i needed this today.