Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Feels Like Home

Last night, just before laying down for bed, I vomited all over my bed. It came so fast and unexpectedly I didn't have time to make it to the toilet or even the closest garbage can. It was pretty uncomfortable to throw up with the scars and abdominal pain that I'm currently experiencing, but my main concern was that somehow because of this the doctor would make me stay an extra day. I cried a little at the thought, but it hurts to laugh and cry right now, so I tried to keep my emotions in check and relax enough to fall asleep.

Morning came and nobody had come in to say I couldn't leave, so I started packing up. I opened the blinds and saw that the sun was shining for the first time since the day Hugh was born. It felt very fitting of how I was feeling about today. The hospital discharged me and some dear friends drove me down to The City in their very smooth ride. Marc stayed behind an extra day, but will be joining me tomorrow.

As we arrived at the hospital, I saw there was a message on my phone. It was one of the nurses caring for Hugh, letting me know that just hours before they had completely weaned him off the oxygen! That is hurdle number one. 

We got up to the NICU as quickly as possible and found Hugh being snuggled by one of his nurses. He still had some wires connected to him, but he wasn't tied down to one spot. After helping me get into a hospital gown, they handed Hugh to me.

Unspeakable emotions filled my heart and seemed to run through my entire body... and I couldn't keep the tears from coming. I was holding my baby boy, after more than three days of pure torture away from him. 

This was Home. 

We spent the afternoon cuddling. I was able to breastfeed him three times and he is getting the hang of it really fast. He slept on my shoulder while I rocked us both in a rocking chair. He is so sweet. I have another hand-holding baby boy.

I have some pictures of my beautiful boy that I'll try to post tomorrow. For now, I need to get my sleep. I just wanted to pass on the good news that Hugh is healing wonderfully and we will probably only be here for another couple of days. I owe a huge thank you to everyone for the prayers and kind thoughts offered on our behalf. I know we have been blessed because of those prayers for our little Hugh. Thank you so very much.


Trent and Amber said...

Oh Megan! We have been checking your blog constantly, and I am so glad to hear this! So glad he took to breastfeeding too! He's off of oxygen, that's wonderful! Thank you for the updates. We're all so glad you're with your baby boy!

Roxane said...

So happy for your sweet little family. Love you.

Kate said...

3 Cheers for Hugh! That's such excellent news, Megan! I'm so pleased for you! :)

Kristine Adler-Nissen said...

Wohoo! That is good news, I am so happy for you. I too have been checking your blog several times a day to se how everything was going. I am looking foreward to seeing the pictures of him :-)

Erica said...

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well. I continue to pray for your family! I can't wait to hear that he's going home!

Allred Mom said...

I'm so glad to hear that all is looking well in yours and Hugh's recovery. Our prayers are still including all of you!

Love you!

Mandi said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you are together and doing so well!

candice said...

Non basta mai a portare lacrime ai miei occhi. Sono molto felice per te, che stai con tuo bimbo finalmente. Spero che tutto continua a vada bene. voglio vedere tutte le foto! :) Mi dispiace per tua dolore, ci vuole tempo e pazienza (sempre la pazienza! :). Sei grande!

Dio ti benedira.

(non parlo (mai) in italiano pui, spero di essere claro)

Ashley said...

So totally in love with it. Congratulations.