Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Father's Day

Father's Day is past, and I'm just now mentioning it. We thought it would be good to write something about our dads even though it's a bit late. My dad passed away six years ago. He was a great role model.

One day, he was driving me to school when he saw something on the side of the road. He pulled the car over, opened the trunk, and pulled out some pruning shears. Then he walked over to a huge blackberry bush and cut some of it away. The bush had obscured a speed limit sign that was important, yet often ignored.

That small experience really made an impact on me. I had always assumed this sort of thing (trimming bushes away from government signs) was somebody else's job, something that normal people didn't need to worry about.

Ever since that day, I have tried to look for ways to improve my surroundings, even when I feel like it's not really my job, or when I know that somebody else might get paid to do it. It's easy to complain and gripe about things, but you learn a different perspective when you get your own hands dirty.

That's just a small example of the type of man my dad was.

-Marc

No comments: