Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Great week at Girls' Camp

I survived the week at Girls' Camp... in fact, it was a fantastic week! I haven't downloaded the pictures from the camera yet, so I'll have to add those in later.

Our canoeing adventure was a success! We had a blast floating on the most beautiful lake. The sand/mud was a rusty orange color, which made the water look like the most beautiful turquoise you have ever seen. I didn't have my camera out near the water, so this picture will have to do.



I had a chance to paddle around in a traditional canoe as well as a little one-person kayak, and I have to say that I preferred the kayak. With the beautiful backdrop of pine trees and red rock, I felt like I was part of some national geographic adventure.

There were four of us leaders: Kim, Julie, Karin, and myself. We have worked together with the 4th level girls for the last three years. I love spending the week with them - I sometimes think we have more fun than the girls! We had 13 adventurers this year.

Click to enlarge

So, here are some of my favorite camp moments:

1. One afternoon, we gathered our group together and talked about Joseph Smith and the sacred experience he had in a similar grove of trees. It was just one of those quiet moments that seemed to bond us together as a group.

2. Late Thursday night, we went to an open area to do some star-gazing. The girls laid down on the grass and looked up at the stars while we read and discussed some scriptures. Standing under the stars can bring such a powerful feeling about God and his reality. It reminds me of a quote by Joseph Smith where he said something to the effect that man can learn more about the nature of God by staring into the heavens for five minutes than he can by reading all that was ever written about Him. I'll have to find the exact quote, but you get the idea.

3. The mid-week run Karin and I made to the nearby town. We came back with Nestle Toll House ice cream sandwiches - to die for!

4. Getting to know our 13 girls. After spending a week together, you start to feel like a family. You form bonds with each other, and you become invested in them. I really grew to love them. They are so cute - especially when they did their "Bugle Boy" skit.



5. The quiet moments we had as leaders. I count Kim, Julie and Karin as some of my dearest friends. I'm grateful to be surrounded by such faithful, courageous, hopeful friends. {Dancing to our insanity song, really bonded us on a new level - "Release! I'm out of control, it's out of body. Release!"} Oh, we had a blast! What happens at Girls Camp stays at Girls Camp. Right? :)



6. Perhaps the best part of the week was being able to get away from the daily, busy, rush-rush of life. I took advantage of quiet moments in the mountains to pray, to read, to think, to renew my spirit, to fill up my reservoir of faith. I have always loved this quote by John Muir:

"Thousands of tired, nerve shaken, over civilized people are beginning to find that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life."

7. Staying up late Thursday night, as leaders, to make "stick people", so that we could sleep in, rather than get up for flag/roll call. {Of course, we felt too guilty to sleep in, so we tip-toed over to the kitchen to help serve breakfast.}

Click to enlarge

8. And, I can't forget to mention the joy I felt seeing Marc walking up the road toward the kitchen on Friday afternoon. I was glad that Marc could be the one to come and represent the bishopric. It was a real treat! The girls got a kick out of him, too! (They're yelling out "Perry Hotter" because of a skit we did earlier that night, and he takes off his hat to show off the fake zig-zag scar on his forehead.)



So, it was a terrific week! The best part was feeling the spirit of the girls' testimonies on that last night. After running around all week, making sure everything is going smoothly, you kind of just hope that somewhere in all that chaos they are growing and learning. And, then you realize that somehow your small efforts are enough for the Lord to work great miracles. And, that is the icing on the cake.

Click to enlarge

Oh, and the Nutella was a hit! There are 13 more girls converted to its chocolaty, hazelnutty goodness!

- Megan

7 comments:

Heffalump said...

I always loved girl's camp growing up. Glad you had a good time. The Canoeing sounds grand.

Calamity Jane said...

I am going up tomorrow for the leaders night. I am excited, we will be popular because we are bringing the treats. "I love being popular" (sung like Galinda in wicked - hope you have heard/seen it)

sounds fun
lafawnduh

Marc and Megan said...

Heffalump, what was your girls camp experience like? tents or cabins? toilets or port-a-potties? It's so different everywhere you go.

lafawnduh, I do love being popular! So, what kind of treats are ya gonna take? "cause maybe you should take some Nutella. ;) I hope you have fun tomorrow night! BTW, I'm lovin' your new blog!

Calamity Jane said...

Im new to this stuff, but isn't that where you make a link????

jk
lafawnduh

Calamity Jane said...

p.s. biffys all the way! (fancy name for outhouse)

Marc and Megan said...

sorry, I must be really slow tonight... a link to what???

Carrot Jello said...

I'll tell her alll about links. I pretty much own the internet. I just sent some people over to watch those videos. Pretty funny stuff.