Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Friday, September 26, 2008

Hummingbirds



For as long as I can remember, I have always loved hummingbirds. When I was in high school my Dad gave me a ceramic vase that he had made, with a hummingbird etched on the side of it. I love that vase.

We have a hummingbird feeder right outside our kitchen window. I think we must be the only house in our neighborhood with a feeder, because we have to refill it at least once a week. I love it, though! I love that they come in flocks to drink our colored sugar water. I always add one drop of blue to about five drops of red, to give the water a slight purple-ish color. I think they like purple better than red.

This morning I noticed that the feeder was empty, so Marc brought it in for me to fill up and then left to run some errands. While he was gone, I was doing the dishes, and two different hummingbirds came to where the feeder usually hangs, hovering in their graceful, lovely way, seemingly confused when they couldn't find their fountain of purple deliciousness. And they disappeared as quickly as they came.

I'm not tall enough to put the feeder back up, so as soon as Marc got home I practically met him at the door with the feeder in hand - "please put this up... the hummingbirds are looking for it and can't find it." I was afraid if we waited too long that the hummingbirds would find a new source of food and never return. And, that would just make me sad. As simple as it sounds, I find so much joy in watching them drink from our feeder. I especially love it when they actually rest on the edge of the feeder and really drink (I've only seen it happen once, though)... usually they keep their wings flapping furiously while taking quick sips over and over again.

Gratefully, within probably ten minutes of getting the feeder back in position, the hummingbirds were lining up again for drinks and I was admiring them from the kitchen window.

And, in that moment I found myself feeling grateful for another reminder of the constant, never-failing fount of "Living water" that has faithfully quenched my thirst. I'm so grateful that I've never gone to drink and been disappointed to discover that there was nothing there to satisfy and fill. When drinking from the "waters of life," I always come away feeling refreshed and renewed. And, I'm pretty sure there is great joy experienced by both the Provider and the partaker when we rest our wings and linger a little longer to fill up on the "Living water" that will never fail us.

These reminders of the One constant in my life have come to mean so much more to me than ever before. When life seems to crumble and cave in from every direction, I find myself questioning when and how and in whom I can ever fully trust again. My heart has been so profoundly touched to know that there is One who won't ever fail me. He is the Son of God. He is my "living water."

"Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." - John 4:14

"Whosoever will come may come and partake of the waters of life freely; and whosoever will not come the same is not compelled to come." - Alma 42:27


2 comments:

Andrea said...

Megan:
I'm constantly amazed by you and your perspective on so many things. Thanks for all you are teaching me. You are wonderful!
Love,
Andrea

Becky Rose said...

Megan, you might not want to publish this. I know you've put adoption on hold, but I wish you'd put it back on. It often takes so long. Don't waist time. You have the faith, it has got you this far.

I have no business saying this, as I hardly know you and I've never even been pregnant (that whole single abstinance things works so well), but maybe you should consider it.

With only positive hopes and wishes for you! - Becky Rose