Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Leap of Faith

The topic of faith has been on my mind a lot lately. I think "faith" is one of those principles that I think at times I've mastered... only to then approach a new situation in life that tests my faith on a new level. What does it mean to have faith? And how do we show our faith as we face "the unknown"?

Well, there is a really great clip in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade that illustrates the basics of faith really well.



Don't you just love that?! How many times have you found yourself standing at the edge of the unknown, scared to death, taken a deep breath, and then plunged forward, not knowing how things are going to turn out? As frightening as those situations can be, there is great joy that follows, when we've taken a step into the darkness and found light on the other side. Well, Elder Packer says it much better:

"Somewhere in your quest for spiritual knowledge, there is that "leap of faith," as the philosophers call it. It is the moment when you have gone to the edge of the light and stepped into the darkness to discover that the way is lighted ahead for just a footstep or two."


Through my own experiences I've learned that when I face difficult, faith-trying moments in life, I can trust in God. I can trust that He will give me the courage to move forward, that He will answer my prayers, that He will provide a way where there doesn't appear to be a way.

Having faith doesn't mean that life will be easy, but it does mean that we won't be paralyzed by fear and doubt. It means things will still be unknown (to us), but having faith means we can take God's hand and trust that He will lead us to a place of peace and safety. I'm grateful to know that He knows where to lead us and how to get us there, 'cause I haven't got a clue.

So, whatever "unknown" you're currently facing, just take a deep breath and make that leap of faith....

4 comments:

dust and kam said...

Thanks Megan! You are so great! I am excited to continue on in my faith testing journey!

Calamity Jane said...

I love that part in the movie, what a great idea to put that on your blog! I have somethings I need to leap to do. I think your post will help

Marc and Megan said...

Kamie, we'll take this journey together! :)

Calamity, I was happy to see that that clip was on youtube... pretty much anything you could ever want is on youtube. :)

Calamity Jane said...

Think I could get someone to clean my house on Youtube???