Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fountains of Life

After our trip to the coast yesterday, I was thinking about how much I needed a day away from our normal, everyday schedule. Days like that remind me of how blessed I am, and I come away with a renewed love for life.

There is a beautiful quote by John Muir that I have always loved.

"Thousands of tired, nerve shaken, over civilized people are beginning to find that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life."


There is something powerful about being in nature that can take away any fears, worries, or painful feelings (if only for a moment) and fill us with energy and peace. Somewhere in that process, hidden wounds are healed.

In my list of top ten most profound life experiences, the majority of them have taken place in a natural environment. My life has been impacted by those experiences. They define so much of who I am. I love nature in and of itself, but I also love it because of the peace and healing that I find.

So, go out and just be in nature. Let yourself soak up the sights, the sounds, the smells, and the textures of things in nature. Don't be rushed and don't be distracted. Enjoy the moment and let nature's fountains of life fill you up.

2 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

I went outside and pick some garbage off our lawn, does that count?

Calamity Jane said...

Last week my visiting teaching apointment was a no show so I took Eliza and went to the park and watched squirls play, It was so fun to see them through a two year olds eyes, we really did try to catch one. It was something I need to stop and do more of, thanks for the reminder.