Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

One step closer

Our Monday (yesterday) started off like a typical new week with chaos and chores to tackle, all on very little sleep. At 7am, when Hugh awoke, I had only gotten about five hours of sleep, which seems to be the norm these days. Luckily since Ben (& Marc) had finally had a good night (slept from 11pm-7am!!), Marc agreed to tend to both boys for an hour so I could squeeze in just a little more rest. The extra 60 minutes made all the difference and suddenly Monday wasn't feeling quite as overwhelming.

And, it only got better from there.

After both boys had their morning naps we went to the park with Grandpa. Ben and I played on the swings, zoomed down his first slide, and enjoyed the cool feel of the grass, while Hugh enjoyed the view of the trees from his spot on the blanket. 

Ben and Hugh had some cute interactions, mainly while Ben maneuvered his way around Hugh like he was on a race track, with my Dad and I protecting both boys from each others' flailing limbs.

And, in the midst of all of that my phone rang. It wasn't a number I recognized and my general response when that happens is to let it go to voice mail. But, this time I decided to answer it. After two months of trying to get everything in order to finalize Benjamin's adoption, we finally got the phone call we were waiting for - the courthouse calling to let us know that had received all the necessary paperwork and we could come in to set our court date. It was the best news to get on such a happy morning in the park with my boys!

After getting home from the park we had lunch and then once both boys were down for their afternoon naps, I left them in the care of Grandma so that I could have my final visit with the family law window lady to set our court date. The poor lady either must really hate her life or just hates her job because it's totally reflected in the way she treats others. I don't know if all courthouse family law employees are as difficult to work with as they are here, but it was a huge relief to have this run around come to an end.

Later in the afternoon I was cuddling Ben and explaining to him that next Wednesday we will be going to see the judge who will finally tell us he is ours to keep. And, then a week and a half after that we will finally take him to the temple where our bonds to him will be made eternal. I don't know quite how to explain it, but it has always felt like he was always intended to be in our family and to come at the precise time he came, in the precise way that he came. It has always felt like he has always been our son. Now we're just going through the proper steps to make it official. I can't wait for the day when he'll understand the special circumstances that came together to bring him into our family, and he'll love Tracey just as much as we do for giving us to each other.

There is a huge burden lifted as we make these final preparations to finalize Benjamin's adoption. One step closer to being together forever.

My heart might just burst.


Ashley said...

When we took Julia to the temple I bawled thinking that the next time we go there just for her she'll either be going on a mission or getting married.

This is the part that makes me feel bad for people who never adopt. Poor saps don't know what they're missing. :)


Amy said...

Awesome news!!!

Kelly said...

Yay! That's wonderful news!

Mindy said...

Oh, I am so glad both days are finally coming!!!! P.s. I don't know how you take care of two babes! I get a little overwhelmed just thinking about it! :)

brossettelewis said...

How exciting! I wait to see a post sealing pictures of you and all your boys. :)

K said...

I am so happy for your family!!!

Mandi said...

Waa-Hoo! I love this post! Such a great time of unforgettable experiences. I can't wait to be there with you! So exciting!

Jen said...

Yeah Yeah! I still can remember the day almost 11yrs ago when Zack became ours legally and then for eternity! It was such a wonderful experience:) Sadly Zack was so sick the day before he was sealed to us! He was in the ER I didn't know if we were going to make it to the temple the next day. He got better just enough to go:)

Jolie said...

It is such a relief when you finally get to go to court and finalize! What a wonderful feeling! And then the temple is the best part of the whole adoption finalization experience. I'm so, so happy for you!!