Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Back to 3rd Grade


Yesterday I spent the day in a 3rd grade classroom. I'll be doing part-time student teaching next semester, so I was checking out what grade level I'd want to do. I was a little nervous. While I have plenty of nieces and nephews around that age group, I haven't had many experiences in a classroom setting with kids this age. I've become very comfortable with teaching teenagers, but I don't know what to do with an eight-year old.

Well, I had a fabulous day! It was "Joke Friday." The kids all shared a joke with the rest of the class. They had a spelling test, a math quiz, then came music time. The only song that I knew was "Apples and Bananas." Then, they did "Mad Libs." I was helping a little girl come up with an adjective, giving her some ideas... then, out of the blue she tilts her head and says, "you're so pretty." Talk about a self-esteem boost! It was so precious... they were all little jewels! After recess they paired up with their "Kinder Buddies" to read them stories. It was so cute! Their innocence was so refreshing!

By the end of the day, I was sold! I had been having my doubts about getting into teaching, but after my experience yesterday I am completely convinced that I'm in the right place. I think I've known for a long time that I wanted to get into teaching, but I've pushed the feeling aside for a lot of different reasons.

I'm excited to gain experience and knowledge that will help me to not only be a good teacher, but to also be a good mother. That is my main motivation. During singing time, I couldn't help but imagine playing the piano surrounded by Marc and our own kids, singing silly songs. And, everyone who knows Marc knows that our kids won't have any shortage of silliness! I can hardly wait.

No comments: