Marc and Megan Logo

family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo family photo

Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Night Before


This morning, after a pancake and egg breakfast, Marc and I started the day with a visit to the cemetery. We left some poinsettia bunches at the twins' headstone. We paused for a bit in the warmth of the sun (it was 60 degrees here today), and couldn't help but feel warmth fill our hearts as well. I feel so grateful to have Marc. I feel so grateful for the gift of perspective that has come with the twins joining our family. I especially feel grateful for the role of that perfect Babe born so many thousands of nights ago.



With so much family in town, the day has been filled with last minute preparations for the big Christmas celebrations and traditions tonight and tomorrow. One of my favorite moments today was spent at the piano with my two sisters. We're planning a special (secret) musical number for our Christmas Eve program around the tree with everyone. Since I haven't been blessed with the same natural vocal skills as my sisters, I'll do my best to provide them with some accompaniment. Luckily their voices are beautiful enough to hide any of my fumblings.



While playing the piano for my sisters, I was struck by the beauty and truth of the lyrics of the latter part of the second verse.



The King of kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our Friend.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!



In all our trials born to be our Friend. On this particular Christmas Eve, I feel especially grateful for this aspect of the birth and life of the Savior. For much of my life I haven't felt comfortable with calling Christ my friend... it has always felt too presumptuous or something. Like, this feeling that He is much too great and untouchable for me to call him that. But, after passing through this last year things have changed. As never before in my life I'm grateful to know from firsthand experience the special way that Christ is my friend.



There is something special about Christmas Eve. I can't help but wonder a little at what it might have been like the night that Christ was born. I love that we can pause long enough to imagine the feelings of beauty and wonder of such a perfect night.



On this similarly perfect night, wishing you all a Christmas celebration filled with love and wonder.



4 comments:

Carrot Jello said...

Merry Christmas :)

JessicaP said...

Merry Christmas Megan. I hope you have lots of fun with your family. Thanks for reminding us of our most important gift!

Kaija said...

those are my very favorite christmas lyrics of any christmas carol ever. hope the rest of your christmas glowed with the spirit as well.

Carrot Jello said...

psst...congratulations :)